Round Straight side 75mm Crucible Height 40mm Capacity 150-200gr
Also available in 95mm height 55mm. Larger capacity pour 200-400 gr
Made of fused silica with a clay bond, Very Durable. Can Take heat of up to 1375 degrees Celsius.
Preparing your crucible: See our popular blog post https://www.capewatch.co.za/how-to-prepare-a-crucible/
You’ll need to glaze your crucible before you melt any metal in it. This ensures that your metal doesn’t stick to the ceramic bowl.
- Pour around 50-100ml of flux or methylated spirits into your crucible. Allow this to stand and get absorbed into crucible.
- Gently warm the crucible with your torch or in a kiln set to around 1500˚F (816˚C), until the ceramic is red hot.
- Remove the crucible from the heat, and sprinkle a generous coating of borax or powdered casting flux on the inside of the bowl.
- You don’t want flux on the outside of the crucible, as it will stick to material when the crucible heats up, but be sure to coat the pouring spout(s). As the powder warms, it will bubble and enlarge slightly.
- Heat the crucible again with the torch or kiln; this will melt the flux into the ceramic crucible.
- Continue until there’s a glassy coating on the inside of the crucible.
- Allow the crucible to air-cool. Now you’re now ready to melt metal!
TIP : Don’t forget sprinkle some borax which will help keep the impurities out of the metal!
Choose from various styles of crucibles for centrifugal casting, normal melting from crucible to ingot. Made of fused silica with clay bond & suited to high melting temperatures. A handle or tongs should be added to make pouring easier.
CAUTION NOTE: WORK SAFE *** Always take Protective Measures when melting metals. Safe surroundings Heat Protective Gloves – Eye Protection GLASSES and or Protective FACE SHIELD along with Fire Proof Work Area!
Related Soldering Products: