Seeing as though Valentine’s Day is coming up, we’re pretty sure everyone is looking around for gifts for their loved ones.
Have you found the perfect piece of jewellery, but you just can’t seem to find the right packaging to put it in?
Do you want the packaging alone to shout “I love you so much and I want you to know how much you mean to me”? Well, then we have got exactly what you need.
We are going to show you how to make your own origami jewellery packaging! This way, you can create something completely unique and perfect it to your requirements.
It’s time to get crafty and hone those DIY skills that you have got hiding inside of you.
How to: make your own origami jewellery packaging:
For this example, we are going to make a diamond-shaped box.
First of all, you are going to need the following:
- 2 sheets of squared paper
- One paper you will cut in these dimensions:
20cm x 20cm
- The other you will cut in these dimensions:
14cm x 14cm
Now, let’s start with the steps for this origami jewellery packaging:
- First, you are going to fold the smaller paper in half both ways from corner to corner (so when you open it up, you will have two lines running from opposite corners).
Then, you are going to proceed to fold the straight edges towards each other (also
halving the page.) When you open it now, you should have 4 lines intersecting in the
- Next, you are going to fold all four corners towards the centre of the page where the lines intersect. Now when you open it, there should be a square shape from the lines.
This next part is a bit tricky – you are going to fold the corner towards the opposite top line of the square that was formed in the previous step. Then proceed to fold the tip backwards to the halfway line. Now you can fold it back open. You are going to do this for all four corners.
- Now, don’t get confused by all the lines on the page! Turn the paper so it is a square shape facing you. You are going to fold the bottom part upwards towards the bottom piece of the small diamond-shape that was formed. While you hold the top part there, you are going to score only the bottom centerpiece as shown below:
(Now when you turn the page around, there should be a diamond-shape in the middle for the page)
- For the next step, you are going to fold the right side of the page towards the left (also to the bottom of the diamond shape), but instead of scoring the middle section, you will be scoring the top right section as shown below:
Repeat this on the left-hand side, too.
- Now you are going to turn the page around and this is where it gets tricky. You now need to fold the piece in between the line you just created in the previous step and the corner of the page:
(Repeat this on the other side)
- Turn the page around and make two dots in the middle of the lines you created:
Now fold the page inwards on those dots and then proceed to fold a small piece of it towards the back until you cut the diamond in half:
Next, you are going to fold the corners in (for the bottom corners, you simply fold them inwards without the previous additional steps taken:
- For this next part, simply refer to the images below:
You are going to repeat the steps from above for the lid as well.
Now remember, an origami jewellery packaging is not the easiest thing to do, so don’t feel discouraged if you don’t succeed at first! Practice with normal paper until you have mastered it and then use your special paper for the final piece.
We hope you enjoy this challenge!